Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mixed Metals

I've returned from the 2011 Arts and Crafts Festival here in Pullman at Beasley Coliseum, on the WSU campus, which is always a wonderful event. I've been working on new Blue Mango Jewelry most of the summer and am excited to share the results of my new designs and materials. Mixed metal jewelry is a new trend. As many of you know, silver prices have gone through the roof and it affects us in many ways. Most artists and craftspeople had been exploring new possibilities to avoid raising jewelry prices.

I've been creating new combinations with Brass, copper pewter and iron. I'm exploring what are called Cold Connections: riveting, using eyelets, dapping metals, wire wrapping, folding and pounding metals into new shapes... the list goes on. It's been great fun and I'm anxious to share these new ideas. I've also been expanding my World's Treasure Bracelets which many of you already wear. I've added new clasps andcharms and have been working with new tribal beads and stones from around the world.

Charm bracelets have been featured in many fashion magazines and trade papers lately. They're great fun to make and I'm excited to share the results. In addition, I continue to work with pearls; freshwater, natural, keishi, stick pearls, shell pearls and Swarovski pearls. There seems to be an endless variety of pearls. I'm also working with precious pieces of coral in a variety of colors combined with lampwork beads. As the saying goes, "the sky's the limit'.

No comments: