Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

September Song


The first day of September, harvesting has begun. From my studio widow I can see a huge combine combing the wheat on the high hills where I live. Farmers used to do this using teams of horses, spectacular and very dangerous work. Old photos showing several to 18 head of horses are fascinating to see. Imagine the cooperation needed to produce and process wheat to flour to bread. It's a part of our colorful, local heritage here in the Palouse.

I, on the other hand, am laboring in fields of beads. I've been working on a series of treasure bracelets many of which you can see here on my website. I'm now creating these bracelets with clasps for those of you who prefer a more structured bracelet. It gives me a choice of new toggle clasps and charms to adorn these colorful beads.

I've also been focusing on Krobo beads. Krobo beads are handcrafted in the African nation of Ghana, made from recycled glass ground by hand in a mortar and pestle, then fired using traditional techniques, i.e. homemade clay molds, homemade clay ovens fired with wood, and hand painting with a re-firing of the beads after each color is applied. I love the ‘primitive’ look and the wonderful vibrant colors of these beads and I enjoy supporting the handicrafts of that country. 

No comments: